Selecting the right application essay topics requires a bit of experience. Once you have selected the right topic, writing about it would be an easy task. An application essay basically has to relate with assessors who are looking for the right candidate for their school or college. If you manage to connect with them, a coveted seat is a prestigious school or college is yours for the taking. Some typical topics have been listed below to give you an idea of how to go about it.
A college application essay would require that you have adequate knowledge about several topics. Colleges are most likely going to ask students to write about general or specific topic depending on the program you have opted for. A few college application essay examples have been listed below.
- A college has devised a strategic plan that provides scholarships, research, community service promotion, and honing creative skills in students. It might ask you to write an essay on the role you would play to supplement and give additional meaning to the plan. What would your approach be especially towards community service and what do you hope to achieve by opting for higher education?
- Do you remember any incident or event that has drastically changed your approach towards education? This would include being reprimanded in school for poor performance and how you got over it.
- What role did your family or neighborhood play during the formative years of your school education? To answer this question, jot down how you studied at home and the methods you were taught either at home or in school. Recollect if neighbors played a hand in educating you on a particular subject.
- Give an account of a setback you have had to face. What did you to do to overcome it and elaborate on the effects it has left on you? Would you be able to recover from a similar incident if it did occur again? Refer to an application essay sample to answer this question. The appropriate sample should suggest how to express and write about an experience you have faced in life.
- You may have opted for a science degree. Some colleges might ask you to write on specific topics like “Would you be comfortable using all the technological advances the internet has seen? Would there be ethical issues you would worry about?” With issues like plagiarism haunting people, you might have to express your opinion on it.
The common application essay offers a list of topics for you to choose from. Generally, you would have to write an essay not less than 250 words. The topics would be general and similar to the ones listed above. Additionally, a topic like talking about a person who has significantly influenced your attitude towards life could be added to the list.
Prepare well and practice writing on the various topics. You would find an exhaustive published list if you pay a visit to the website hosted over the internet for the college or school you wish to join. Take this exercise seriously, as it could make the difference in you getting a seat to the institution of your choice.