The critical essay format should be basically used to create a rough draft of your essay into a fair copy. The critical essay should be presented with concise data neatly arranged throughout the essay. To help you do this right, there are several inputs you could predetermine that would save time and help in arranging data neatly.
The preliminaries should be on the first page. It could include your brief experience of writing the essay along with some space left for comments from tutors. You could refer to a sample critical essay to get a better idea about how to format your essay. Include titles of literary, scholarly, and critical works in the bibliography. Identify the source of each quotation and provide reference to them in the essay.
It does not matter if you are writing critical analysis essays. An essay format would be standard with some minor changes to meet specific guidelines recommended by tutors to structure the essays. You need to get familiar with formatting skills like spacing between words, margins, footers and headers, font size and type. It is easy to incorporate these once you have done it a few times.
There are some other details that remain constant for all essays, unless specified otherwise.
- To ensure that the critical essay format is standard, learn to include pictures, photographs, tables, graphs, charts and maps. Include good quality media which could be downloaded for free over the internet. Learn to adjust size to fit into the space allocated for the pictorial aid.
- All pages of a book are divided into sections. A similar approach should be followed when formatting your essay. A critical essay example would indicate that new sections begin on new pages, and an index indicates the content to be discussed. To retain simplicity, the essay should be concise and as short as possible. You can choose critical essay topics that you are familiar with when you first start.
- The bibliography should follow the standard method indicated by the style guide. The board or university you are affiliated to would suggest the standards to be followed. This could be easily incorporated into your essay. You might have to follow the APA/MLA or other styles as suggested. Reference should be gathered from authentic sources to be accepted for assessment. Ideally, refer to government sites or public libraries.
- Another important point to note is that you if you include quotations of four or more lines, they have to be single-spaced and indented five spaces from the left margin. This is the general practice which should be followed unless specified otherwise. These guidelines are mentioned in great detail if you visit the APA or MLA website.
- Finally, formatting guidelines are mentioned in the guidelines provided to you in the curriculum. Go through it several times. You would want to follow them unless you are prepared to change if your critical essay format is not accepted. Detailing does require some practice, but once you have done it a few times, it would be very easy to follow.