Writing on critical essay topics is quite difficult for students especially if they have just started to write essays. Often, there is a bit of confusion about how to go about it. The notion is that a critical essay is meant to criticize or offer negative remarks about a topic, which is a big misunderstanding. It is not always true and often the analytical skills of a writer are tested when producing really good critical analysis essays. The way to go about it is to first choose good topics that you are familiar with.
- You should try to follow the norms of critical analysis wherein an essay can discuss topics based on literature, art and culture, gender, sports, knowledge, politics, ecology and other areas. The topic could be part of a book, an article, or a report you found over the internet. Different people choose different critical essay topics based on their liking for a particular topic. There are many issues people like to talk about. For example, if you were to write an essay on knowledge and politics, you would choose political theory based on neoliberalism and how it affects the principles and practice of democracy in modern times.
- A typical sample critical essay topic can be really fascinating even if it controversial. You could choose to write on the ecological balance that exists, maybe inspired from a critical essay example on the topic. Ecological practice is never easy to predict. Advocates of various ecological theories often mistrust other theories that are contradictory. There is no easy solution, and this leaves room for critical analysis which you could follow up on provided you gather sound knowledge of the theoretical aspects of the topic.
- If you were to write on sports, try and observe everyday events in your life. There might be a brother, sister, or friend who takes part in sports. The discussions that sports persons indulge in, and the opinions they have about a particular topic could inspire you to write an observed viewpoint if you have participated in the discussion. Just try and recollect such incidents and write your critical essay. There would be many who would be interested in this first-hand critical observation.
- Some students just love literature and have made a habit of writing most of their essays based on topics related to it. You could be one of them, which would make you write a literary essay based on a critical essay format. For example, you could choose the works of Clement Greenberg, an art- historian and literary- critic who was quite famous in his time and could influence the literary world with his analytical approach. He was, after all, one of the critics who helped people understand the meaning of “modern art.”
- While preparing to write an academic project, you should be able to think and write critically. There are several other topics you might be interested in like movies made by Steven Spielberg, or William Shakespeare’s Hamlet. The choice is yours. It is important though that when choosing critical essay topics, you need to pick a topic you could write about with confidence.