A descriptive essay about a place is an interesting topic to write about. You probably have seen many places on holiday or while visiting a relative. This is the time to recollect memories about the place and to write about it in a descriptive essay. It is actually quite easy to recollect pleasant memories about a place you have visited in the past. There are some methods though that you can use to simplify things.
- Organize your thoughts on a piece of paper or type it into a word processor. Do not rely on memory as it is likely you would miss out on some important details. The process starts with jotting down details about the place. Since it is a description essay you would be writing, do not hesitate to write down all the details however vague it might seem. You can always edit it at a later stage.
- When you attempt to write a descriptive essay about a person, you are concentrating on the characteristics you noticed. It could include achievements and also something out of the box that you noticed when talking or reading about the person. Any content is good when you have to write an essay. It has to be interesting though and should be written with the reader in mind.
- The ideal way to start is to compile a descriptive essay outline that incorporates all the details that need to be entered into your essay. Note them when you sit down for a brainstorming session. Your outline should have points that describe the place in different ways. For example, note down the location in relation to other important places surrounding it. Write about the monuments, landmarks that set it apart, animals and birds that have made it their home, the public library, the town hall, and the museum. The list could go on. You have to use your imagination to gather points for your essay.
- Descriptive essay topics are normally given to you before you start your essay. Your tutors are the best people to approach if you need advice about the topics you could choose. This is not a problem though as when you write a descriptive essay about a place, there is a limit to the number of topics you can choose. The best approach is to select a few topics on your own and refer them to your tutors who would advice you accordingly.
- The purpose of a descriptive essay about a place is to inform readers about it. You can choose to write without the help of pictures; but if you choose to add pictures, readers would easily identify with your essay. Pictures can create an image in their minds about the place. As you present highlights and textual inputs, readers should be totally engrossed in the essay. It is important that you make efforts to keep the essay short and to the point. Use bullet points to explain your viewpoints. Make it easy for readers to identify with your essay, and you would have succeeded in writing a good descriptive essay.