An education essay is the foundation through which a student gets admission to college. It could be the same essays we learned to write is school. How to write a college essay or even an elementary essay can be a difficult task if the fundamentals are not followed. The importance of a good essay can be gauged from the fact that colleges ask potential student applicants to write a qualifying essay to decide qualification for admission. When such importance is given, it would be wise to brush up on the fundamentals of essay writing.
- Getting the right attention. The first few lines of your essay would decide whether a reader would continue reading or not. So how do you start? Follow the basic principles. Begin with an introduction, add the body of the essay with three or four paragraphs, and end it with a conclusion. The introduction must drive the rest of the essay. It could make a bold statement, which you could justify in the latter part of your essay.
- The body of the essay must be assembled with sub topics of your thesis statement. It should have answers to questions posed due to an argument placed within an essay. For example, in a mathematics essay, you would include graphs and tables to justify a statement or equation you posed in the introduction. Education essays tend to be around 500 words. This gives you just enough leeway to prove your point. Be precise and logical in your approach. Deviation from a point would only make your essay drift and the reader would lose interest. Think of an engineering essay where everything is very precise and to the point.
- Use simple language. Avoid the tendency to use long and complex sentences. As a thumb rule, avoid the use of commas more than twice at a time. Instead of finding words to express, it would be in your interest to research well enough to find the right words to add clarity for the sake of the reader. Stick to the basics and avoid going off track to fill in words. This would reflect on clarity.
- If a reader has to refer to understand the essay, you have lost half the battle. What this means is if you have introduced words that are not commonly used, make it a point to explain what it means the first time you introduce it in the essay.
- Research well as school and college essays are normally read by well informed faculty and students. Reference information chosen has to be referenced properly and a bibliography has to be maintained. Every reference or quote you make has to be mentioned using a particular style guide. This is easy once you get used to it.
- Think of custom written essays. What sort of essay would you like to read? Consider the limitations the essay would have in terms of length, sources available for research, and appeal.
Every attempt you make at essay writing should have taught you something new. If you follow the basic rules and adapt to new topics, you too can be writing a great education essay.