Research Paper Citation Methods
It is important to follow research paper citation methods that are recommended in the curriculum. Instructors usually specify the type of citation to be used in the research paper. It could be the APA, MLA, Chicago, Turabian, CBE, or AMA style of writing. The online world has quickly adapted to most of these methods. Information is therefore readily available that can be used in research papers. The most common ones used in academic circles are the MLA and APA citation standards. Online manuals are easily available that offer guidelines and specify standards for usage. Books are available in school and college libraries. Some basic research paper requirements and standards commonly used in the various writing styles are mentioned below.
- MLA reference methods – The MLA (Modern Language Association) style is often used to write papers in liberal arts and humanities. Citation methods are listed with examples according to the MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing and MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. Students can begin by focusing on in-text citations, double-spaced text, references in the form of endnotes/footnotes and the Works Cited page.
- APA paper citations – The APA (American Psychological Association) style is mostly used in academics, psychology, and other social sciences. It is a set of rules that governs how comprehension is addressed in the social and behavioral sciences. The APA standard is designed to use citations within the text with precision and without disturbing the flow of communication. It maintains clarity of communication with clear and consistent presentation of written material using elements such as punctuation and abbreviations, headings, statistics, tables, and research paper citation.
- Chicago research paper citation – The Chicago Manual of Style (CMS) is the standard for American English grammar and usage. Commonly used in historical journals, books, magazines, newspapers and other non-scholarly publications, there are two basic types of styles within the Chicago style. One uses a reference list while the other uses in-text citations like the MLA style. Mixed formats are also used like year of publication as in the APA style. Research paper steps are quite flexible and allow footnotes or endnotes to be included depending on whether or not a bibliography is also included in the research paper.
- AMA research standards – The AMA (American Medical Association of Style) is used in biology research essays, and papers dealing with health and medicine. It is widely used online to compile ebooks, journals, and to format and standardize websites. A point to note is that citations are noted numerically in the same order as they are listed in the text.
- Turabian citations – The Turabian style is a commonly used term for A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. It is very similar to the Chicago Manual of Style except for some minor research paper citation differences like how the way references are placed in the text, capitalization of titles, and how dates appear in the references.