A big test for many school-going kids usually comes in the form of a student essay. Expressing ideas and thoughts effectively in a structured way starts early and continues throughout school and even through college. Assignments exist at all grades including science, mathematics, English, and other subjects. As the process is creative as well as detailed, it takes time and effort combined with creativity honed over a period of time to make learning effective. Here are some notes you can follow to write essays of merit.
- Essays have become mandatory. It is therefore an effective form of formal education, especially to improve writing skills. Structures and formats are taught early to enable a student gain confidence and speed.
- Student essays are usually formal. Creativity is not curbed but presentation has to be done in well rehearsed manner supported by facts gathered through research. What this means is that the biographical style of writing in first person has to be avoided.
- Exposure starts usually with the five-paragraph essay. How to write an introduction is shown to students with a thesis statement. What follow are three paragraphs supporting the statement with quotations and research, and an ending paragraph summarizing all the points to a logical conclusion.
- Writing an essay is a form of literature which expresses a viewpoint about a particular topic. In some cases, a teacher or professor assigns the essay topics. In other cases, students have to select their own topic, which makes it essential to understand the topic thoroughly. For example, an essay on the practice of acupuncture might be very different from one on the origin of acupuncture.
- Being short in nature, it would be impossible to cover all aspects in an essay. Several essays might come close to doing that. Its very function is to endorse an idea and support it with detailed arguments and justifications.
- Research has to be intense. Consultation with experts and playing out theory gathered in the form of elaborate notes help in understanding a topic better. Flow of writing also comes from more and better research.
- Outlining what you have gathered in research will help in detailing and creating a format which supports the thesis statement throughout.
- College essay writing begins with entrance essay submissions, which dictates the performance of a student. Extended essays going over 3,500 words need skill and great detailing combined with imagination. Unlike research or term papers, such essays reflect attitude and are subjective. This is often a real test when giving entrance exams.
- Proofreading and editing are skills developed through practice. With the advent of computers, detecting language errors has become easy. It still requires practice and effort to come up with a good essay.
Use the above notes as guidelines, follow them diligently, and you will find essay writing easy. You too can come up with a student essay of substantial merit.