A child abuse essay should be written to highlight the very sensitive issue of physical or emotional ill-treatment of children. BBC News reported in November 2008 that over 80% of children in the UK who were either killed or seriously hurt through neglect or abuse were not reported in the child protection registers between 2005 and 2007. There was an outcry after the death of Baby P who died after serious abuse. It was widely accepted that children identified as suffering from child abuse should be safeguarded under a child protection program. It is therefore important to understand the signs and symptoms indicated by children from abuse and write an appropriate research paper.
- Fear of medical help is a sign to look out for. Often children demonstrate fear of doctors. When they panic at the mention of a doctor, it becomes obvious there is something wrong.
- Those who have been abused physically tend to react and show aggression towards others.
- Irrespective of hot weather, children always remain fully clothed. This usually happens when they want to cover injury marks.
- Making excuses about past or present injuries is quite common.
- Refusing to participate in physical games which require minimum clothing.
- Avoiding people constantly with a tendency to be withdrawn.
- Cannot bear criticism and tending to overreact by being good. Child abuse essays can highlight several other symptoms.
- Demonstrate an unusually high tolerance to pain. This is on account of feeling worthless and unwanted.
- Showing signs of nervousness like constantly moving and acting fidgety. In extreme cases, they tend to twist hair and indulge in self mutilation.
- Showing signs of poor physical, mental, and emotional development.
- Withdrawing into an earlier comfort zone like playing with toys or biting nails.
- Highly knowledgeable about sexual advances considering the tender age and showing a tendency towards it.
- Suddenly avoiding a baby sitter or people they have known for a long time. They would react with fear as soon as they don’t want to meet the concerned person.
- Indicated symptoms of medical problems such as itching and venereal diseases.
- Demonstrate symptoms of overeating or a sudden loss of appetite.
How To Deal With It
Whenever a situation like this is observed, it would be in the child’s interest to report the matter first to the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC). This would be the first step in you are unsure of how to deal with the situation or are not totally convinced that a child is being abused. In Scotland, you have institutions like Royal Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. In Ireland, it’s the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. A social work essay or any other essay writing exercise can highlight the various symptoms seen. There would be instances when you are absolutely sure of a child abuse case. To prevent serious consequences, it would be better to call the police or a social service organization you are familiar with. A child abuse essay on a live case can greatly help in creating awareness towards stopping it.