Participating In Essay Contests For College Students
Essay contests for college students offer students a chance to test their writing skills and knowledge of the topic chosen. Institutions around the world have realized the importance of gauging talent in college students. Contests are offered on topics they are closely associated with. It given them a chance to understand viewpoints of thousands of international students on vital issues that affect people. Students are motivated to take part in a contest as it would offer cash prizes or scholarships with the added incentive of being felicitated at an award ceremony. International winners get the chance to travel abroad and get a feel of the country’s culture. College students need to be aware of common elements that could consolidate their efforts to participate in and win the contest.
- Taking part in essay contests for college students would require advance writing skills and knowledge on a particular topic. Students are expected to have mature views on a subject and should able to express themselves adequately. For example, a college student would need to have a higher level of understanding of complex topics than a student who would participate in a high school essay contest.
- Contests have their own set of rules that need to be followed. As students can participate in most of them online, they need to be careful of the details entered before submitting the form. They would not be able to make any corrections once it has been submitted. In fact, the editing process would start by reading through the guidelines several times and then noting down the requirements that needs to be fulfilled.
- Read through the essay questions and prepare a list of ideas that come to mind. Students need not participate in all available contests. For instance, students interested in literature would like to take part in the Atlas Shrugged Essay Contest. Ayn Rand has been an inspirational writer. Students who have read her works would stand a better chance of understanding the requirements of the essay. In this case, it would be judged on the style of writing and how a review is presented.
- Most international contests would require students to travel abroad to foreign destinations. They need to ensure they would be able to get their travel documents like passports and health certificates on short notice. They also need to verify and check if they are eligible to take part in the contest. The essay writing contest may be available only to students enrolled at an accredited four-year college in USA.
- Plagiarism has been a major hindrance in the growth of online content. Institutions would not like to face litigation charges based on accepting duplicate content as original. They have sophisticated software in place that would detect duplicate content. Students must understand that copied content would be rejected outright. If they are applying for a competitive application essay contest, they may get into serious legal trouble besides having their entry invalidated.
- Students must read through instructions to ensure they fall under the specified age limit to take part in essay contests for college students. International contests usually accept entries from college students between the ages 18 to 25 years.